Strategy and management:
- Lead the development and implementation of GSF’s global communications and advocacy strategy in line with GSF’s strategic pillars, outlining the brand, messages, audience, and communication channels to reach the intended Ensure that GSF’s message is consistently conveyed in meetings, media/ public relations, marketing, and general communications.
- Develop and manage the communications and advocacy budgets.
- Direct and manage the engagement of GSF leadership and community to amplify GSF’s mission in the context of communications and advocacy campaigns and activities.
- Lead the development of the communications and advocacy workplans.
- Build staff capacity through planned training, learning programs, mentoring and coaching.
- Manage relationships with communications and advocacy agencies and contractors.
- Guide and oversee application of GSF’s brand and message and grow brand equity. Ensure messaging and branding is uniformly applied across the organization, its programs and Lead the provision of communications policies and guidelines to direct communications activities and ensure organization-wide coherence and consistency.
- Provide strategic communications advice to GSF senior management, including on high-level media engagement to drive key issues on the organization’s Provide advice and guidance on crisis communications. Help identify, develop and maintain key industry trends, communication channels and compel- ling themes/storylines to incorporate into communications in line with the organization’s needs.
- Direct relationships with the media at the global Develop and nurture contacts with media members, influencers and stakeholders, and community leaders.
- Leverage communications to develop related content, including op-eds, blogs, white papers, podcasts, videos and briefing papers to advance GSF goals.
- Guide and support the development and execution of communications strategies, tactics and deliverables, such as a report to the community, e-newsletter, press releases, website content, social media content, brochures and various organizational positioning pieces.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and team to drive internal communications with various boards and councils, as needed. This includes writing and editing a broad range of executive-level communications for internal and external audiences globally, including speeches and talking points, op-eds, letters, and management memorandums.
- Provide advice and oversight to senior leadership and program officers on communications initiatives to ensure effective coordination and consistent messaging and outreach.
- Develop and monitor metrics to measure reach and impact of communications and to identify areas of success and opportunity. Maintain and have responsibility for communications calendars and budgets for all critical communications campaigns.
- Develop partnerships with the private sector, including media, and civil society to enhance public awareness on key issues and seek opportunities for marketing, advocacy and editorial collaboration.
- Guide the development of audiovisual and print products to inform about GSF’s work and enhance the organization’s visibility.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies across the GSF Strategic Pillars to deliver impact with key development decision-makers.
- Develop and implement advocacy actions, and supportive communications, related to major events around GSF strategic pillars, including for intergovernmental meetings, international conferences, and other events.
- Grow GSF’s network of development decision-makers.
- Develop advocacy opportunities, in collaboration with partners in media, Vatican leadership, and civil society to advance advocacy priorities shared by GSF and the Catholic Church.
- Develop global campaigns and messaging to advance GSF global advocacy. Ensure that campaign strategies and messages are appropriate to key decision-makers and influencers, enhancing GSF’s reach and credibility among all stakeholders.
- Liaise with GSF’s external partners, including Vatican leadership, for joint communications and collaboration around overarching issues and defined advocacy
- In particular, lead the relationships with Sisters’ organizations and other external partners involved in GSF’s Sisters Advocacy pillar, co-creating and overseeing execution of advocacy opportunities, expanding Sisters’ networks and connections with potential partners, and working with the GSF Grant Manager to design and oversee grants under this pillar.
Essential: Bachelor’s degree required
Desirable: Graduate degree in a related field
- At least 10 years of professional experience, of which at least 5 are in management experience in global strategic communications, preferably with an international organization
- Experience planning and executing successful communications across a range of both traditional and non-traditional platforms
- Proven experience with cutting-edge communications and media approaches, outlets, and tools, including social media
- Experience working with the media to promote an organization through effective media relations, including pro-active campaigns and re-active reputation/crisis management, as well as the ability to assess and monitor media strategy against key objectives
- Experience in all areas of media relations – press availability, informing feature stories, working with broadcast media, creating OpEds, risk management
- Experience using a range of communications tools, including publications, internet and in-person contact, and proven ability to create successful interface among these tools for global communications initiatives
- Proven ability to develop and oversee a comprehensive budget
- Strong leadership skills and ability to thrive in results-oriented environment
- Experience working collaboratively with faith-based organizations
- Experience working collaboratively with development cooperation and diplomatic organizations
- Experience managing teams, including networked capacity in multiple countries
- Experience dealing with members of corporate and foundation executives and HNWIs
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication and advocacy skills, necessary to work with and communicate with all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Proven knowledge and expertise in leading strategic communications at the international level
- Proven ability to conceptualize and implement communications and advocacy strategies and campaigns
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience and skill in effectively managing teams and creating an enabling working environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to work collaboratively and support others where needed
- Excellent knowledge of news media and media relations; digital media and other communications channels and proven ability to apply these for effective outreach
- Proven ability to develop partnerships for communications and advocacy
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to adapt to changing situations
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to navigate complex entities and organizations with tact, discretion, and diplomacy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multiethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to motivate and empower others to deliver against a common goal
Essential: Fluency in English
Desirable: Working knowledge of Italian, Spanish, or French
To express interest in this role please send resume to Patrick McGrory, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.